Smart Growth in Action: 2011 Legislative Outlook
Tough budgetary times and a new administration will make this an interesting year. Here are a few of the issues we will be following along with our legislative partner, Preservation Trust of Vermont:
- Economic stimulus through an improved designated downtowns and village centers redevelopment tax credit program. There is a waiting list for tax credits for projects that are ready for renovations. These restoration projects utilize more labor than new development by creating local jobs.
- Updates to the Vermont Neighborhood Program to include an option for developers to apply for designation for a project that meets the density, design and locational requirements.
- Monitoring any changes to funding for the Housing and Conservation Board.
- Eliminating strip development along our roadways via Act 250 updates.
- Complete Streets legislation to encourage communities to plan for pedestrians and other modes of transportation as well as cars.
Watch your inbox for periodic legislative alerts, and visit the State Policy section on our website.